Keeping too much clutter around your home means that sooner or later you will run out of free space, even if your home is huge. Free storage space is one of the most important resources and it should not be wasted on meaningless items.
If you are done breeding chaos by keeping useless junk around and you are ready to free some space, you will need an effective strategy. What you need to do is free some time on your hands, prepare for a decluttering session and get rid of unwanted junk. Here is a simple process you can follow:
- Why you keep clutter around? - ask yourself this simple question and think about the answer. Sometimes it is because an item holds certain sentimental value. Often your storage space is taken up by things you think you will one day use, but not now. The problem is that by the time you do need said items, you have already forgotten about them. Understanding this will show you the flaw in this ‘keeping just in case’ strategy.
- Make a real budget-friendly house clearance - certain items are rubbish, no matter how you look at them. Random paperwork, broken items, things way past their expiry date, etc - all of that is not even fit for taking up space in a storage unit.
- Try to be ruthless - you will have to be ruthless in order to free up as much space as possible. The only way to get rid of the junk that is turning your home into an unwanted storage room is to determine: whether you use/need/keep it ‘just in case’. After that, it is time to let go of it.
- Declutter all at once - sometimes you may hear that a common strategy is declutter a little every day, but there is a better alternative. Declutter in one go as that has been proven a far more viable strategy.
- Reduce further clutter in the future - now that you have completed all of the steps, make sure you don’t repeat the same mistake that led to such decluttering trouble in the first place. Learn to dispose of useless items in a timely manner, else your home becomes more cluttered than a storage facility again.
Follow this strategy for reducing your clutter
and you will see it works very well.